Friday 26 September 2014

This week in CSC165, we started off with conjunctions, disjunctions, negation, and truth tables. For me this stuff was mostly understandable but there were times when I was just completely confused. I hope in this slog I will be able to elaborate more on what I was confused on.

So getting right into it, I mainly understood the material that was taught this week but what confused me was the part about tautology, satisfiable, and unsatisfiable. I understood that tautology is where a statement is completely true in every possible world, in other words where every example works. Satisfiable is where it is possible to make a statement true and have at least one example and unsatisfiable is when the statement is never true, meaning there are no examples that can satisfy the statement. What was confusing for me was the situation that was given on Wednesday's lecture. After looking at it again, I understand it a bit more but it is still quite confusing with the sets. On the other hand, the satisfiable and unsatisfiable situations ares easier to understand because the situations are more straight forward. For example the unsatisfiable situation says that there is a P(x) and not P(x) which is not satisfiable at all.

On another note, this week's tutorial was quite challenging. For the first question in the tutorial exercise I was confused about the first question because I did not really know how to convert the statements into symbolic form but it was actually fairly simple for example one of the questions was "No course is a prerequisite of itself", I understood that I was dealing with one course instead of two courses this time, also since it said No course, I immediately thought that it must be for all courses this is true. This then was actually pretty similar to part A in question one instead the course that does not have a prerequisite is itself so that means we would replace CSC108 with the prerequisite course. Most of the questions were pretty easy as I would get the right symbolic form but just in the wrong order. For example one of the questions was "Some course is not a prerequisite for any course", if we said "For every course, there exists a prerequisite course" then it would be wrong because we are not specifying one specific prerequisite course. Instead we would say "There exists a prerequisite course for every course" to specify one specific prerequisite course. Therefore sometimes order matters.

And this concludes this week's slog. It was a bit boring for me to write but I hope next week's will be better. Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment